Re: partitions missing on my external hard drive

Thanks both for your replies.

Dans linux.debian.user, vous avez écrit :
> Selim:
>>Have you tried running it as root?  I'm not sure if it's needed but in
>>case it is...

it's the same result running as root. I think fdisk -l does not need being run
as root.

>>You might also try cfdisk.  I seem to remember that once I had a
>>problem with seeing the partitions with fdisk but cfdisk worked,
>>though I'm not absolutely sure.

I'm not successful with cfdisk.

> I think it is hardware (USB-to-SATA?) failure. I had same problem few
> months ago. I think arno has two options here:
>
> 1. Ether to try to restore its partition table w/ fdisk or whatever
> tool - it will be quiet easy if there was single partition.

But I can't even operate on the disk with fdisk:
# fdisk /dev/sdb
fdisk: unable to open /dev/sdb: No medium found

Note that my data is only backup, so I don't care losing them when fixing my
hard drive.

Regards,

arno