Re: partitions missing on my external hard drive

Selim:

>> [334302.538188] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
>>
>> fdisk -l output:
>>
>> $ fdisk -l /dev/sdb
>> $
>>
>> (nothing was output)
>
>Have you tried running it as root?  I'm not sure if it's needed but in
>case it is...
>
>You might also try cfdisk.  I seem to remember that once I had a
>problem with seeing the partitions with fdisk but cfdisk worked,
>though I'm not absolutely sure.

I think it is hardware (USB-to-SATA?) failure. I had same problem few
months ago. I think arno has two options here:

1. Ether to try to restore its partition table w/ fdisk or whatever
tool - it will be quiet easy if there was single partition.

2. Try w /data recovery tools - in my experience far harder and
improper way of restoration in such a case.