Re: dial-up modem usage

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 19:16:12 -0500 (EST), Rob Owens wrote:

> I know that winmodems probably won't work, so I may have to swap it out
> for something in my old parts bin.

That's not necessarily true anymore.  I hate winmodems, but some of the
most popular winmodems do have Linux drivers these days; although all
or part of the driver is usually a proprietary binary blob.  I have
had success with the LT modem in some older IBM ThinkPad models, as
well as the SmartLink AMR modem in an IBM ThinkPad X31.  Although it
was a royal pain, I also managed to get a Conexant winmodem working
with Squeeze at full rated speed.  What passes for a "modem" these
days is pretty pathetic.  On the hardware side, it is little more than
an electrical interface between a PCI bus and an analog telephone line.
The most recent winmodems, such as the SmartLink AMR and the Conexant
winmodems are just that.  The "modem" is pure software.  The driver
*is* the modem.  There's no UART, no DSP, no nothing, in the hardware.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :