Gnome workspace manager has disappeared -- Help!

Somehow the workspace manager and the index which appeared at the lower right of the screen have disappeared.

If I right-click on a window tab in the task bar I can move the window to another workspace, and the window selector will show that the windows are in the workspace where they were moved to, but there is still no index and all of the window tabs are in the task bar.

How do I get my window manager and the index back? I can't find any program or package that is called window manager.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Dennis