Re: wheezy / gnome3

On 11/08/2011 03:54 PM, Camaleón wrote:
On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 14:20:58 -0200, Pablo Sánchez wrote:

Hi there : help !
Here we go :-)

I updated wheezy(amd64) and i got gnome3, i didn't see it coming....
Oh, yes... what a sad day. My desktop is now blue and with no live, text
is rendered blurry and life has turned completely grey :-(

And i thought mine was ugly....
1. It runs in fallback mode on a ati radeon mobility 1350
(...)

Check if you have 3D capabilities "on" ("glxinfo | grep -i render").

$ glxinfo | grep -i render
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
 GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra, GL_NV_conditional_render,

I can trurn kms on, on /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf , but  the
desktop is a bit unusable, pretty but unusable.
You have KMS disabled and radeon driver still works? That's good but
maybe KMS is needed to get gnome-shell working :-?

I got this computer working without kms because on squeeze was unusable, same with wheezy,
although in better shape. Now is very slow on responding either display, mouse, keyboard.

Maybe i have to search for some other tweak to make it work fine.

2. Any reasonable gnome 3 guide to get things work out ? (no shortcuts,
no panel config, no desktop icons and the two panels (upper an lower)
are black and no config i can guess)
I have to surrender.

I know all of the settings can be tweaked by editing the corresponding
CSS file but this file will be overwritten with any of the upcoming
update affecting gnome-shell, so I decided to leave the gnome-shell "as
is" (in a very bad shape) and wait for better times to come (aka: wait
for gnome-tweak-tool to be in wheezy).

Greetings,

I guess we'll have to wait for some further updates on this.

Regards

Pablo Sánchez