Re: How to "ifdown ..." on squeeze?

Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> writes:

>>  [main]
>>  plugins=ifupdown,keyfile
>>
>>  [ifupdown]
>>  managed=false
>>
>> That does mean that ifupdown is not in charge .. right?
>
> No. It means that ifupdown is in charge rather than NM - as long as you
> have the interfaces listed in "/etc/network/interfaces". See my previous
> email.

Boy is that not apparent.

But at least I can now follow what is happening.  ifupdown will
indeed bring up or down my network... I must have `interfaces' at
least close to right?

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

/etc/network/interfaces
  # The loopback network interface
  auto lo
  iface lo inet loopback

  # The primary network interface
  allow-hotplug eth0
  iface eth0 inet dhcp

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

  [main]
  plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

  [ifupdown]
  managed=false

Dan, with what is above in /etc/network/interfaces and
/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

Does ifup and ifdown then work?

I'm not sure if you'd need a reboot or what... hopefully not.  Can
anyone say if you change over from one method to another... what it
takes to get the OS to recognize that fact?