Re: How to "ifdown ..." on squeeze?

Tom H wrote:
> Dan B. wrote:
> > On a new installation of squeeze, ifdown no longer works as it used
> > to (on my old Debian system).

This is because by default with a GNOME desktop installed Debian has
switched away from ifupdown and over to NetworkManager because GNOME
by default specifies NetworkManager.  If you don't install GNOME then
you won't get NetworkManager and the behavior will be traditional
Debian ifupdown.  There is a lot of discussion about this in the
mailing list archives.  It has been controversial.

> > When ifconfig lists an interface "eth0", neither "ifdown eth0" nor
> > "ifdown eth" takes the interface down.  The attempts yield:
> >  "ifdown: interface eth0 not configured" and
> >  "ifdown: interface eth not configured".
> >
> > How does one take an interface down on squeeze?

The expected tool on a GNOME system would be by using the
NetworkManager GUI with the mouse or as Tom writes, 'nmcli' from the
command line.  Something like this:

  # nmcli conn down id 'Auto eth0'
  # nmcli conn up id 'Auto eth0'

> > (with a commented-out line:
> >  #NetworkManager#iface eth0 inet dhcp

For the background of that comment see the bug report here:

> > Also:  The reason I was trying to take it down and back up was to
> > trigger a fresh DHCP query and corresponding host-name configuration.
>
> When NM controls your connections, NICs aren't defined in
> "/etc/network/interfaces", by default; you can change that behavior by
> changing the "managed" variable of the "ifupdown" section of
> "/etc/NetworkManager/networkmanager.conf".
>
> You can also use "nmcli" to take down and bring up your NIC.

My recommendation is to edit that commented out line and remove it
from NetworkManager's control and return it to ifupdown's control.
See the mailing list archives for lots of discussion of this issue.

See this next reference for the details of that particular line.

  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_the_basic_syntax_of_etc_network_interfaces

Bob