Re: Debian install , need to add wireless firmware

Brian,  6.11.2011:
> On Sun 06 Nov 2011 at 04:00:09 -0800, rose perry wrote:
>
> > Hello, I must clarify a few things,  I have no cd's no usb keys and im using
> > the installer from google goodbye microsoft.  I can't install from network
> > because it can't detect my wireless card.  I have the firmware on my win XP
> > partition but have no idea how to get it to the installer.  Any ideas would
> > be greatly appreciated.  Thank You.
>
> Borrowing or buying a USB stick would make installing Debian so much
> easier but, if you want an interesting and life-enhancing experience,
> here we go:
>
> 1. Get the goodbye-microsoft installer going. Do the detection and
>    configuration of the network part of the menu. It won't work of
>    course, but you will make notes of any messages. Pressing Alt-F4
>    will also give you much more information.
>
> 2. Partition and install the base system. After that there is little
>    you can do because there is no net access. Install GRUB to the mbr
>    and finish the installation.
>
> 3. You can now boot Debian - we hope! Still no net access but you have
>    a working system which can do many things. One operation you want to
>    carry out is to mount the device which has Windows on it. Like so:
>
> 	mount /dev/sdaX /mnt
>
>    You want to do this because you are going to download quite a few
>    .deb files in Windows, transfer them to the Debian installation
>    using Debian and install them with dpkg. Have you bought that USB
>    stick yet?

Once xp is mounted onto debian, I guess one could just copy the
required firmware files from the xp partition into /lib/firmware (or
wherever they need to be) and then reboot/reload the network driver
to get it going.  (The network setting might have to be set up at
this point but the defaults could be good enough.)  This should avoid
downloading lots of .deb files to xp and moving them over.