Re: Alternatives to Iceape Display Problems?

On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 04:44:06PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 10:55:26 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 11:01:20AM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
> >> You mean Iceape browser is not displaying images nor flash player
> >> videos at all? For this problem, I would take a look into this KB:
> >>
> >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Images_or_animations_do_not_load
> >
> > I checked out this reference too.  The iceape settings are as
> > recommended except that one setting regarding navigation does not exist
> > in the iceape preferences.  The reference also notes that flash problems
> > are discussed in a separate article Video_or_audio_does_not_play.  This
> > page is blank.
>
> Try with this URI:
>
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Video%20or%20audio%20does%20not%20play
>
> > I believe the flash plugin is the problem.  I started using the Google
> > Chrome browser because it included the latest version of flash. Checking
> > the plugins in iceape I found three versions of Shockwave Flash
> > installed, each in a different directory:
> >

> > dragon:~# ll /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
> > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 125816 Sep 29 13:50 /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
>
> This is the wrapper file. Nowadays it should not be needed anymore, just leave
> it as is.
>
> > dragon:~# ll /usr/lib/gnash/libgnashplugin.so
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 275072 Sep 12  2010 /usr/lib/gnash/libgnashplugin.so
>
> This is the Gnash flash plugin. Some sites can reject loading flash content if
> they don't detect the Adobe Flash Player plugins installed. Sad but true :-(
>
> > dragon:~# ll /home/tom/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 tom tom 10606256 Mar 11  2011 /home/tom/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
>
> (...)
>
> And this is the Adobe Flash player plugin. Because it is located in your home,
> it takes preference over system wide plugin folder at "/usr/lib[64]/mozilla/plugins/".
>
> To ensure what flash plugin your browser sees, you can:
>
> 1/ Open Iceape browser and type "about:plugins"

This is how I found where the different versions of flash were
installed.

> 2/ Go to Adobe Flash test site: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

There are no linkds to the Adobe test site in the iceape about:plugins
listing.  (Other plugings, VLC Multimedia Plugin for example, do include
url's)

> And put here the results :-)

Went to the Adobe site, downloaded and installed the latest version of
the plugin.  The site lists Chrome as the appropriate browser for flash.

Finally, my apologies for not immediately following your earlier advice
to read the raw html code.  I find I was forwarded a message which
failed to contain the jpeg images called in the html code.

Sorry I wasted our time by not checking this immediately.

Tom