Re: [OT] Why not gnome3 (with gnome-shell)?

* On 2011 05 Nov 07:18 -0500, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 10:06:31 +0100, Javier Barroso wrote:

> > So, why people is hungry with it ?
>
> (...)
>
> I think you wanted to say "angry", like the famous birds ;-)
>
> And yes, I feel more than angry when someone (or something) do not allow
> me to follow my own way and make my own customizations or having my
> desktop in the way I prefer.

In my case, I am running an ATI Radeon dual display card in this desktop
and use its Zaphod Heads mode.  GNOME 2 was incapable of dealing with it
in a sane way, KDE4 less so, so I use XFCE which handles the mode and
the resulting independent desktops flawlessly.

On a whim I installed GNOME 3 (shell and fallback) recently and gave it
a spin.  Until I moved my xorg.conf out of the way both modes would fail
upon startup.  When I did get them running the only possible
configuration for the second monitor is as an extended desktop.  But
there was no means that I could figure out to put a panel or do anything
but simply drag an app to the second screen.  When GNOME shell was
running, it was not intuitive and was extremely slow, to the point that
I thought it had locked up.  Fallback mode is a shell of its former
GNOME 2 self.  Neither mode offered any sort of menu upon right-clicking
the desktop or panel.  What do they think we have reverted to, an Apple
single button mouse?  The loss of functionality/capability is insane.

> But I'm also lazy and GNOME2 has been serving me very well in these
> years, so I will give GNOME3+gnome-shell a chance before taking any
> radical step (like switching to another DE or WM).

I found XFCE to be able to handle my need for independent desktops a
year ago.  For a window manager it works well.  As a desktop I have many
GNOME/GTK+ and a couple Qt apps installed.  I tend to pick and choose and not
run all of one or the other.  I will say that the GTK3 apps do look
nice with the Adwaita theme in use.

On my laptop running Wheezy I am still running GNOME2 desktop and will
until it is forceably removed.  At that time I'll probably go back to
XFCE on it as well.

- Nate >>