Re: Preseeded installation with non-standard locale

Philipp Tölke wrote:
> I am trying to configure an unattended installation with a
> non-standard locale for my language/country-choices.
>
> I am trying to install systems with the locale "de_DE@euro".

That looks to be one of the standard locales to me.

  $ grep de_DE /etc/locale.gen
  # de_DE ISO-8859-1
  # de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8
  # de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15

Seems choosable to me.

> The script /usr/bin/localechooser will disect the preseeded locale
> and look up the language ("de") in the file
> /usr/share/localechooser/languagelist.

What is /usr/bin/localechooser?  It does not seem to exist on the
system.  You can search the Debian package database here:

  http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=%2Fusr%2Fbin%2Flocalechooser&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all

Note that it doesn't find any references for it.  You must have
installed it from someplace else.

> This file contains the line
> "de;1;DE;de_DE.UTF-8;;kbd=lat0-sun16(utf8)" which sets the locale to
> "de_DE.UTF-8". I have found no way of "forcing" another locale than
> the one found in this file.

Sounds like a problem with your /usr/bin/localechooser script.  You
might report that as a bug to the author.  That program does not
appear to be part of Debian.

> I start the installation with the kernel-parameter
> "locale=de_DE@euro". The relevant entries in my preseed file are:
>
> #v+
> d-i debian-installer/locale string de_DE@euro
> d-i debian-installer/fallbacklocale select de_DE@euro
> locales locales/default_environment_locale select de_DE@euro
> localechooser debian-installer/locale string de_DE@euro
> d-i localechooser/supported-locales multiselect de_DE@euro
> locales locales/locales_to_be_generated multiselect de_DE.UTF-8 de_DE@euro
> d-i pkgsel/install-language-support boolean false
> d-i localechooser/preferred-locale select de_DE@euro
> d-i debian-installer/charmap ISO-8859-15
>
> d-i debian-installer/locale string de_DE@euro
> d-i debian-installer/keymap string de
> d-i debian-installer/locale select de_DE@euro
> #v-
>
> As you can see I have tried setting every option I could find.

I think you have been diverted from the primary problem.  You won't
need most of the above.  Try reverting to the very simple settings:

  d-i debian-installer/locale string de_DE@euro
  d-i debian-installer/keymap string de

I tried an install on my system using only the above and everything
worked perfectly fine for me.

By working I mean that the de_DE@euro was generated.  The keyboard
setting was set properly in /etc/default/keyboard.  The locale setting
was set properly in /etc/default/locale.  When I tested error messages
from a simple test error the messages were emitted in the specified
locale language okay.  All okay.

What does not seem to be working for you?

Bob