Re: gnome3 now in wheezy?

On 11/04/2011 07:49 PM, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hi,

I was under the mistaken impression that wheezy still had a usable gnome, as opposed to sid which has "upgraded" to gnome3.

So I installed gnome-session on a new wheezy install and got a desktop with a background with 3 icons on it, computer, home and trash.

But nothing works: there are no applications to select, no settings to change.

And it seems to be gnome3 because F1 works. It displays a help window that mentions "gnome3", but of course nothing what it says is true because nothing is selectable.

Has anybody recently tried installing gnomse-session in wheezy? Is there a way to "fix" this?

I tried installing gnome-session with "--no-install-recommends" and without and the results are the same.

I created a mondo backup before installing gnome, so it is trivial to revert to before the install.

Hugo

We'll have a lot of bumps these times on Gnome/testing, given the fact migration
to Gnome 3 is currently happening.

As a temporary solution, I encourage you to head towards XFCE. It provides the same level of usability as a stable Gnome environment, and it hasn't changed a bit, compared to G. After 20 mins of configuration, you simply won't be able to tell the
difference :)