Re: KDE package manager

Am Mittwoch, 2. November 2011 schrieb Doug:
> On 11/02/2011 01:56 PM, Sian Mountbatten wrote:
> > Camaleón wrote:
> >> On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 16:22:14 +0000, Sian Mountbatten wrote:
[...]
> >> What happened with our beloved Synaptic? :-)
> >
> > It works, but it is in /usr/sbin so it needs root permissions.
> >
> > I've found a KDE package called packagesearch which will install
> > and probably remove (but I have not tried that yet) packages.
> > The search facility is excellent.
> >
> > Thank you for your reply.
>
> Of course Synaptic requires root permission.  If you're not root, you
> should not be allowed to install packages! Aren't you the owner of the
> Debian installation?  If so, you surely have a root password.

Newer GUI package management applications for KDE like Muon and probably
some other packagekit based one only ask for root permission when they do
need it. IMHO that is way better than to fire up the whole GUI based
application with root permissions including essential GNOME or KDE based
services. But I did not yet found one for KDE that works as expected and
is packaged officially.