Re: Which gnome file to delete before changing distros

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 09:36:05 +0000, Richard wrote:

> I've fallen foul of this a few times. When moving between distros and
> using gnome DM, which of the gnome config files need to be deleted.
> I've been forced a few times to add a new user on install and copy files
> from my user directory in to it .
>
> Which is a pain

It can be a pain but usually that option is what provides the better
results in the end (less conflicts and headaches), and it's safer because
you can still copy/paste the old files without worrying on having
overwrote or damaged them.

> there is .gnome2 or .gnome3, .gconf, or .gconfd. Which should be deleted

It used to be "~/.gnome", "~/.gnome2", "~/.gconf", "~/.gconfd" and also
"~/.metacity" but *NEVER* remove these folders as they can contain user's
data or e-mails... is better to rename them (e.g., appending "-old")
instead.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón