Re: creaing new 3.0.4 kernel in squeeze --kernel panic

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 20:43:12 -0400 (EDT), Walter Hurry wrote:

> But my (single internal) hard disk is always /dev/sda, and my two
> external USB disks are always /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc.  So what difference
> does it make?

You mean that *so far* your internal hard disk is always /dev/sda
and *so far* your external USB disks are always /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc.
There are no guarantees that it will always be so.

On my system, I've noticed that my single internal hard disk is
usually /dev/sda and my CD-ROM drive is usually /dev/sdb.
But if I boot my system from a rescue CD, the CD-ROM drive
is usually /dev/sda and the hard disk is usually /dev/sdb.
But I cannot guarantee that the hard disk will always be /dev/sda
even if I boot from the hard disk every time.
It's all timing dependent.  Devices are not necessarily discovered
in any particular order anymore.  It is safest to use UUIDs
or LABELs.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :