Re: creaing new 3.0.4 kernel in squeeze --kernel panic

On Oct 31, 7:20 pm, "poenik...@operamail.com"
<poenik...@operamail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 31, 12:40 am, Stephen Powell <zlinux...@wowway.com> wrote:
> > Also, I recommend that you read
>
> >    http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm
>
> > for a fairly comprehensive tutorial on kernel building in Debian which
> > documents many common "gotchas" in kernel building.  For example, there
> > is a patch to kernel-package which is needed in some circumstances
> > when building a version 3 kernel with make-kpkg.  The patch is documented
> > on the above web page.  And, depending on which boot loader you use,
> > you may need to install some hook scripts when using a custom kernel
> > with Squeeze and later releases.  This is also documented on the
> > above web page.
>
> > --
> >   .''`.     Stephen Powell
> >  : :'  :
> >  `. `'`
>
> I followed the instructions given in Kernel.htm and built a kernel
> from the source tree I had
> downloaded fromwww.kernel.orgafter issuing make-kpkg debian. I also
> patched kernel-package
> using the patch file (linuxv3.diff) mentioned on the web page.
>
> I also used make localmodconfig to greatly reduce the number of
> modules actually compiled.
> Compiling the kernel took 34 mins on my 1.6GHz laptop.
>
> I installed the kernel using dpkg as root, checked that an initramfs
> image had been created, closed down
> and rebooted.
>
> The kernel loaded, entered runlevel 2, but commands that tried to
> write to the fs failed because it was
> still readonly. The kernel finally hung with nfsd. ctrl-alt-del
> successfully rebooted. I shall recompile
> the kernel without NFS support because I don't need it.

I removed NFS stuff and recompiled the kernel. I also removed the
packages nfs-kernel-server and
nfs-common.

After rebooting with the new kernel, it loaded, hung at points and
eventually gave me a tty login
prompt. I could login as sian as well as root, but the file system was
still read-only. I suspect that
GNOME has to be able to write to the fs so that is why I only got a
tty prompt.

Some messages emitted by the kernel when loading:
Can't open or create /var/run/syslogd.pid
Unknown hardware ThinkPad EC
touch: setting times of /var/lib/sudo: Read-only file system
What do I do next? At least the kernel loads and gives me a prompt. I
don't understand why the
file system is still read-only.