Re: What to do with a DVD-RW +VR disk? UDF file system

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 19:17:28 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 05:22:39 +0100, Dom wrote:
>
>> On 28/10/11 21:12, Hendrik Boom wrote: (snip lots of stuff I can't help
>> with)
>>
>>> What's my next step?  Presumably it's a permissions problem.
>>
>> I don't think it's permissions (you did log right out and in again
>> after adding yourself to the crdom group, right?)
>
> It's hard to see how it could not be a permisions problem, because the
> top-level directory on the DVD has no permissions -- neither read,
> write, nor execute are allowed to anybody, no matter whether owner,
> group, or world.
>
> Unless VLC partially runs as root, of course. or completely bypasss the
> file systam.
>
> -- hendrik

As root, I mounted the DVD on /mnt (when I just put the disk in as
prdinary user running gnome, I was told it couldn't mount it), then
copied the entire disk as files to my hard drive, then changed the owner
and permissions to my my files, with rwx permissions.

After  that, I could get VLC to play the first mpeg in  file., but none
of the others.  It completely ignored the VR_MANGR.IFO file, which is
supposed  to contain the menus and index the way mpegs are scattered
within the VR_MOVIE.VRO file.

I'd be at happy if I could figure out how to split up the VR_MOVIE.VRO
file into mpegs, so I could play them separately.  Especially if I could
also extract the menu information and metadata in the VR_MANGR.IFO file.

-- hendrik