Re: OT: Just a simple query

> On Sat, 2011-10-29 at 09:58 -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> > - need for current versions of specific software packages (at least for
> > some of the packages I rely on, the packaged versions tend to lag well
> > behind the upstream versions, and I end up installing a lot of stuff
> > from the upstream tarball) - depending on your specific software needs,
> > Ubuntu might be a better choice (though if you plan to explore
> > virtualization, then it's a real contest between Debian, Red Hat, and Suse)
>
> Cross-distro we have "checkinstall". Usually I replace "make install" by
> "checkinstall". Compiling from svn, tar archives etc. might cause a
> dependency hell. If somebody needs current versions of some software it
> takes some understanding. While e.g. Ubuntu and Suse publish one Release
> after the other, I suspect Debian testing + some compiling from svn etc.
> could be more comfortable. Regarding to this point my opinion is
> fluctuating, fortunately there's GRUB, so I can install several distros.
> I can't maintain all installs, but I do have an install that is very
> good for my needs, it's an Ubuntu, hence I keep it as it is and
> currently I try to maintain my Debian testing install, to get something
> better than my perfect Ubuntu.
> While for Ubuntu packages provide newer versions than packages for
> Debian do, Ubuntu has got some disadvantages, e.g. they force
> installation of some packages. I'm an audio user, Ubuntu does force me
> to install PulseAudio, a PITA for my needs, using Debian I've got the
> choice to install it or to abandon it.
> So, I would ask a "newbie", what (s)he exactly needs. Even "this distro
> is easier to use, when you are from Windows" is a generalisation that
> IMO is faulty.
> A tweaked, illegal XP for audio usage isn't comparable to a licensed
> Windows 7 for surfing the web. Even all Windows aren't equal. Btw. I've
> got installed and I'm using Linux only, anyway I know different versions
> of Windows.
>
> I don't like the politic of Ubuntu, I prefer Debian, but IMO Ubuntu is a
> good choice for beginners ... perhaps in most of the cases the best
> choice.

Third party repositories also do provide more up to date software, but
very often there's the need to have some experiences with Linux, when
using such repositories, at least a user should backup the Linux before
replacing packages from regular repositories, by packages from third
party repositories.

Btw. instead of Red Hat I tested Fedora on a virtual machine, set up on
Suse. Fedora might be a very good choice for beginners and experienced
users too. Is there still a Red Hat distro? Regarding to the German Wiki
Red Hat became Fedora.