OT: Just a simple query

On Sat, 2011-10-29 at 09:58 -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> - need for current versions of specific software packages (at least for
> some of the packages I rely on, the packaged versions tend to lag well
> behind the upstream versions, and I end up installing a lot of stuff
> from the upstream tarball) - depending on your specific software needs,
> Ubuntu might be a better choice (though if you plan to explore
> virtualization, then it's a real contest between Debian, Red Hat, and Suse)

Cross-distro we have "checkinstall". Usually I replace "make install" by
"checkinstall". Compiling from svn, tar archives etc. might cause a
dependency hell. If somebody needs current versions of some software it
takes some understanding. While e.g. Ubuntu and Suse publish one Release
after the other, I suspect Debian testing + some compiling from svn etc.
could be more comfortable. Regarding to this point my opinion is
fluctuating, fortunately there's GRUB, so I can install several distros.
I can't maintain all installs, but I do have an install that is very
good for my needs, it's an Ubuntu, hence I keep it as it is and
currently I try to maintain my Debian testing install, to get something
better than my perfect Ubuntu.
While for Ubuntu packages provide newer versions than packages for
Debian do, Ubuntu has got some disadvantages, e.g. they force
installation of some packages. I'm an audio user, Ubuntu does force me
to install PulseAudio, a PITA for my needs, using Debian I've got the
choice to install it or to abandon it.
So, I would ask a "newbie", what (s)he exactly needs. Even "this distro
is easier to use, when you are from Windows" is a generalisation that
IMO is faulty.
A tweaked, illegal XP for audio usage isn't comparable to a licensed
Windows 7 for surfing the web. Even all Windows aren't equal. Btw. I've
got installed and I'm using Linux only, anyway I know different versions
of Windows.

I don't like the politic of Ubuntu, I prefer Debian, but IMO Ubuntu is a
good choice for beginners ... perhaps in most of the cases the best
choice.