Re: Choosing a distribution (was: Just a simple query)

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 6:03 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-10-29 at 09:19 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade
>>
>> ***
>> Version: 11.2+ Starting with openSUSE 11.2, a live upgrade from the prior
>> version is officially supported. This allows to perform a complete
>> operating system upgrade in place, without reloading everything from
>> scratch.
>> ***
>
> I can confirm this, I'm running Suse 11.2 on my machine. I won't upgrade
> to 11.>2, but it's possible since 11.2. OTOH IIRC for Ubuntu it didn't
> work on my machine, while the upgrade from Debian stable to Debian
> testing worked without trouble.

Ubuntu works in the same way as Debian. You can either upgrade it as
you'd upgrade Debian or you can use the Ubuntu upgrade tool (name
forgotten) that basically does the manual upgrade for you in the
background.