Re: Just a simple query

On Fri, 2011-10-28 at 17:56 +0530, Linux Tyro wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Patrick Bartek <bartek047@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>         If you are truly a Linux tyro. . . .  In my opinion, PCLinuxOS
>         is one of the best distributions to start with simply because
>         it's designed from the ground up for those coming from another
>         OS like Windows, or who have no Linux or OS administrative
>         experience at all.  It is designed to "work right out of the
>         box."  No additional work required for the most part.
>          Administration and configuration is all through GUI
>         utilities.
>
>         You can still learn Linux on it like any other Linux distro:
>         set up servers, firewalls, etc.  PCLinuxOS afterall is still
>         Linux underneath the flashy GUI.
>
>           http://www.pclinuxos.com/
>
> Thanks for this, seems really like Windows.

When you wrote about "other OS" I suspect you were only talking about
Windwos and perhaps MacOS too. A lot of dinos like me came from QL, C64,
Atari's TOS etc., so a terminal emulation based Linux is closer to what
we were accustomed, than a Linux that mimicries Windows or MacOS.
Perhaps you can compare oldish MacOS and the Atari's TOS, anyway, all in
all your imagination is nonsense.

I don't know PCLinuxOS, but I'm sure it won't work OOTB for all needs.

People might read the list's archive, so please don't write such
careless generalisations.

I didn't read the thread, just this mail. For some people the computer
is a useful tool and not a useless toy. For CNC and professional music
you might choose another Linux distro, than for office and other needs.

FWIW I don't like Suse, but some aspects of Suse are better than e.g.
for Debian, while my favourite is Debian. Suse doesn't change the owner
very often, just one time Suse was bought by Novell.

I might be mistaken, but that's what I experienced.

2 Cents,

Ralf