Re: bizarre look of libreoffice under KDE/compiz

On 25 October 2011 17:19, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
[...snip...]

>>> Let's recap...
>>>
>>> - KDE
>>> - Compiz
>>> - Cairo-dock
>>> - Discrete VGA card (Radeon HD 4290) + radeon driver
>>> - Backported kernel
>>>
>>> I think you are putting too much spicy on the soup :-)
>>
>> Is it really? I don't think I am asking too much. There are plenty of
>> users using all of these and I can't believe that on a modern hardware
>> is too much to have all of these.

On my initial mail I made a mistake saying that I was running compiz.
I am running compositing from KDE. Somehow I thought that I was
running Compiz because I enabled the desktop effects from the KDE
control settings. Don't ask me how I made that mistake:-)

> Modern hardware knows nothing about such software mixture.
>
> I mean, if we are referring to the hardware layer, your computer can be
> able to run all those applications just fine but speaking purely about
> software, I fear to run just _one_ of the said components so imagine
> running all of them at a time... it has to be a complete headache for
> your system (KDE environment is now managed by kwin -which provides
> compositing- and you are also running Compiz -which provides
> compositing-, then you have added Cairo-dock -to enhance the desktop look
> & feel- and all that is managed by a VGA card that is not very powerful -
> mid-range- with a backported kernel.
>
> I would considered myself lucky if my system can be started with all that.

Currently I run the same setup, KDE with compositing and cairo-dock
with opengl, but I have removed KDE integration of the libreoffice
(removed libreoffice-kde package). So far not problems.

>>> I would try to disable compiz and see what happens. It could be "cairo-
>>> dock" or "compiz" (or a mix of a lot of other things, the soup has many
>>> ingredients...) the ones making the screen goes corrupted. If disabling
>>> compiz fixes the problem (the same as happens with GNOME) I would
>>> contact compiz at their forums or mailing lists.

If I run compiz --replace I get a yellow screen and i have to reboot.
I also see sometimes that the rendering is not working well. For
instance when I issue alt-f1 to get the KDE menu the background of the
menu is not white but has parts of the desktop image. Some screen
corruptions is going and I believe is has to do with the driver.

>> I was about to do that, but I said I want to find the solution of the
>> problem rather to work around it.
>
> Disabling components will help you to find what is causing LO (it was
> just LO?) to render badly and you will be able to direct your report to
> the proper project/package to they can fix it or tell you what to "tweak"
> to make the error dissapear :-)

I will continue the experiments and most likely I will contact
kde+compiz teams. I also need to go through all the bug reports of the
relevant apps to see if it is something already reported.

thanks camaleon,
pavlos