Re: bizarre look of libreoffice under KDE/compiz

On 23 October 2011 12:16, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 00:03:32 +0200, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
>
> Hi, please, avoid using html formatted messages, they render very badly
> in some e-mail readers :-)
Sorry I forgot to disable html on gmail.

> > I am having a strange issue with Libreoffice under KDE with compiz
> > enabled. Αs an old Chinese proverb says,
> > here is picture http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1773878/libreoffice-issue.png
> > which presents the issue very well.
>
> Is the screen corruption only happening for LibreOffice or are there
> other applications affected?
>
> > To recover this situation I need either to logout/login from KDE or
> > reboot if logging out/logging doesn't help.
> > I have that issue only under KDE and not under GNOME without Compiz. The
> > issue started to appear after I
> > started using cairo-dock, but it does happen when I don't use
> > cairo-dock. It can happen either while I use libreoffice or straight
> > after I start libreoffice(any apps)
> >
> > I haven't  observed similar issue with other applications (yet). Any
> > ideas?
>
> (...)
>
> Let's recap...
>
> - KDE
> - Compiz
> - Cairo-dock
> - Discrete VGA card (Radeon HD 4290) + radeon driver
> - Backported kernel
>
> I think you are putting too much spicy on the soup :-)

Is it really? I don't think I am asking too much. There are plenty of
users using all of these and I can't believe that on a modern hardware
is too much to have all of these.

> I would try to disable compiz and see what happens. It could be "cairo-
> dock" or "compiz" (or a mix of a lot of other things, the soup has many
> ingredients...) the ones making the screen goes corrupted. If disabling
> compiz fixes the problem (the same as happens with GNOME) I would contact
> compiz at their forums or mailing lists.

I was about to do that, but I said I want to find the solution of the
problem rather to work around it.

Thanks for the tips
Pavlos