Re: Weird DNS error?

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 7:29 PM, Greg van Anders
<gregvananders@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Bob and Tom.

You're welcome.

> # grep hosts /etc/nsswitch.conf
> hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

I'm glad that you or someone else thought of asking for the above
because it slipped my mind and I think that it identifies the problem.
(Everything else looks fine.)

"dns" isn't being queried because you've got avahi installed and so
when it's queried through "mdns4_minimal" and the host's ip isn't
found, it's returning instead of the default "NOTFOUND=continue".

Delete "[NOTFOUND=return]" and try a "host ..." or a "dig ...".