Re: how to handle the not upgraded package

On 2011-10-24 22:45 +0200, Tom H wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> As an unstable user, I beg to disagree.  With aptitude there are few
>> occasions where dist-upgrade is necessary, and it often does unwanted
>> things. Unfortunately, apt-get does not have a safe-upgrade command.
>
> (slight digression) I wish that the apt-get and aptitude developers
> could harmonize their verbs so that we could have all three behaviors
> in both apt-get and aptitude:
>
> "[apt-get|aptitude] upgrade" would be the equivalent "apt-get upgrade"
> "[apt-get|aptitude] full-upgrade" would be the equivalent of "aptitude
> safe-upgrade"
> "[apt-get|aptitude] dist-upgrade" would be the equivalent of "apt-get
> dist-upgrade"/"aptitude full-upgrade"
>
> I don't see in what way "apt-get diet-upgrade" and "aptitude
> full-upgrade" differ. What am I missing?

The full-upgrade command will remove manually installed packages to
upgrade as many packages as possible.  If the safe-upgrade command
already upgrades all packages, then there is no difference; but do a
full-upgrade during (say) a perl transition in unstable, and it may rip
rip out large parts of your system.

Sven