Re: how to handle the not upgraded package

Sven Joachim wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Stable typically only needs safe-upgrade.  But sometimes for point
> > releases and for some security upgrades will need a dist-upgrade.
> > Testing/Unstable by comparison typically always uses dist-upgrade.
>
> As an unstable user, I beg to disagree.  With aptitude there are few
> occasions where dist-upgrade is necessary, and it often does unwanted
> things.

Since I use apt-get instead of aptitude I am likely missing a nuance
of 'aptitude full-upgrade' (aka 'aptitude dist-upgrade') where it is
different from 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.

As a Sid user I usually 'apt-get upgrade' first (the safe upgrade) and
then 'apt-get dist-upgrade' second to pick up dependency changes.
Almost every day there will be packages with dependency changes and
will need a dist-upgrade in order to keep current.

> Unfortunately, apt-get does not have a safe-upgrade command.

Here I beg to differ.  'apt-get upgrade' is the safe-upgrade mechanism.
Packages cannot be added or removed and dependency chains cannot be
broken.

> > On Sid testing victim systems I routinely apply dist-upgrade daily
> > without thinking.
>
> This should never be done on systems that you actually care about.
> Always watch out for packages that the dist-upgrade is going to remove.

Right.  And I tried to be pretty clear about that in my message.
Calling it "testing victim systems" should be pretty clear that those
are testing victim systems.  :-)

Bob