how to resize a compact flash image on disk

I have a debian(sid) system, and on that is a DD image of a CF card
which also holds a debian(sid) disk image.

I recently bought some new CF cards, but they are slightly smaller
than the ones I built the image for, and so DD complains when I copy
the image onto them, and then fsck complains when I try to boot it.

Is there a tool which will taks the disk image and adjust it to a
smaller size (it is far from full - there is plenty of empty space)
before copying it to the CF.

Unfortunately all the old CF cards are out in the field, so I can
not simply take that image, resize it and then save that to disk
ready to be copied to the new (smaller) CF cards.

David