Re: Debian Locked Up

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 09:26:47 -0500, chris dunn wrote:

> For a while I've been suffering mysterious crashes where the screen goes
> blank and the computer becomes completely unresponsive. Ctrl Alt F1 and
> the like do not work and the mouse and keyboard become non-responsive.
> Occasional beeps can be heard but I'm not able to identify the cause of
> the beeps. Maybe keyboard presses, maybe not.

"Beeps" can indicate overheating and given the call trace, I'd say they
could come from the graphics card :-?

> I've never been able to find anything in the logs until now, but found
> this in messages following a freeze-up that occurred yesterday.
>
> Oct 21 16:06:13 bessie kernel: [119088.140023] Modules linked in: nls_utf8 nls_cp437 vfat fat powernow_k8 mperf cpufreq_stats cpufreq_userspace cpufreq_conservative cpufreq_powersave ppdev lp rfcomm bnep binfmt_misc fuse nfsd nfs lockd fscache auth_rpcgss nfs_acl sunrpc loop snd_intel8x0 snd_ac97_codec usb_storage uas nvidia(P) ac97_bus snd_pcm snd_seq snd_timer snd_seq_device evdev snd edac_core btusb bluetooth rfkill edac_mce_amd soundcore snd_page_alloc pcspkr k8temp i2c_nforce2 parport_pc parport i2c_core button processor ext4 mbcache jbd2 crc16 usbhid hid sr_mod sg sd_mod cdrom crc_t10dif ohci_hcd ata_generic pata_amd fan floppy sata_nv thermal thermal_sys libata ehci_hcd usbcore scsi_mod forcedeth [last unloaded: scsi_wait_scan]
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  ^^^^^^

So you are using the closed source nvidia driver, right? Most of the time
kernel developers refuse to reply to bugs when this module is loaded, so
I would try to reproduce the bug with the nouveu module instead. You know,
nvidia module "taints" kernel :-/

(...)

No problem, but there are also www.pastebin.com (or the like) sites ;-)

> This is all complete gibberish to me.
>
> Can anybody point me towards an explanation of what is going astray
> here.

I looks like Xorg is crashing because of the nvidia driver, so what
driver version are you using?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón