Re: USB boot from HardDisk

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 11:14:02 +0200, Jonas Geiregat wrote:

> I'm aware the subject may sound confusing. So let me elaborate the
> subject some more.

Yes, please :-)

> I have a computer currently running Ubuntu linux. I'm quite fed up with
> this distrobution and would like to switch to Debian GNU/Linux.
>
> This computer has no cdrom-drive also, for some reason (probably
> something went wrong with my motherboard) I can't boot directely from an
> external cdrom-drive or a usb pendrive.

When you say the computer cannot boot from any USB source (CD-R or USB
disk/flash memory), what do you really mean? I would investigate this
further because it seems weird that your motherboard has fried all of the
USB ports...

What kind of tests did you make to completely discard an USB booting?

> But if the computer starts I do get a grub menu from the Ubuntu
> distrobution. Would it be possible to use this grub setup from Ubuntu to
> boot my pendrive usb ?

Debian Installer manual says "yes":

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s04.html.en

But I have never tried this option before and there are many chances that
your current install gets damaged.

There is also the option for booting over the network:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s05.html.en

But this requires a pre-set infrastructure which can be common on
companies bit not so usual for home users.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón