Re: USB boot from HardDisk

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 11:14:02AM +0200, Jonas Geiregat wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm aware the subject may sound confusing.
> So let me elaborate the subject some more.
>
> I have a computer currently running Ubuntu linux. I'm quite fed up with
> this distrobution and would like to switch to Debian GNU/Linux.

Ubuntu is not so bad.  Which Debian you are thinking? Ubuntu LTS and
Debian stable tend to be slightly older but very stable.  Anytime when
you chase the latest desktop, you may hit little problems which ever
distribution you use.  Anyway, welcome to Debian.

> This computer has no cdrom-drive also, for some reason (probably
> something went wrong with my motherboard) I can't boot directely from an
> external cdrom-drive or a usb pendrive.

That is odd.  Have you checked BIOS setting.

> But if the computer starts I do get a grub menu from the Ubuntu
> distrobution. Would it be possible to use this grub setup from Ubuntu to
> boot my pendrive usb ?

Theoretically YES by pressing "e" in the GRUB menu and point it to USB
image properly arranged.  But this is too much hussle even for me.

If I were you, I install Debian to USB disk manually and swap hard disk
with the one in PC. (tricks with dbootstrap etc...)

But the easiest thing to do is fix BIOS.  If BIOS is right and problem
is due to half broken MB, you may wish to replace it before it breaks
down badly.

Osamu