Re: Fn Backlight keys on Dell XPS

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 22:07:41 +0200, rudu wrote:

> My question isn't debian specific, but I guess a similar problem might
> occur with debian on that laptop.

Nice try ;-)

> I'm configuring a double boot Win7/Ubuntu 10.04.03 on a Dell XPS L502X
> for a friend of mine.
> Everything's Ok except for those Fn Backlight Up/Down Keys. The others
> Fn Keys for sound, wifi, touchpad disabling, etc. work fine.

How about setting the backlight bright from the GNOME power management
applet? Does it work from there?

> I googled the web for hours, and found several grub tweaking through the
> /etc/default/grub file and his GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT parameter. So
> far I tried :
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash noacpi"
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nolapic"
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor"
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=video"
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash dell_acpi" ... without success.

Is there anything logged at dmesg related to this acpi problem? (dmesg |
grep -i acpi)

> If someone can shed some light on this one I would be very grateful.

Mmm, you can consider:

a) Asking at Ubuntu forums/mailing lists
b) Open a bug report in Ubuntu for the non-functional function keys
c) Try with a new kernel version (from a LiveCD to avoid messing up
things)
d) Using "xbacklight" application

Greetings,

--