Re: Unkillable process with firefox

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:00:15 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> According to Novell, that means it is unkillable short of a reboot.
>>> But maybe I can supply the i/o it is waiting for... trouble is I
>>> cannot find it.  Doesn't show up in top at all.  I see no instances of
>>> firefox at all.  Allegedly it is in the foreground, so shouldn't I be
>>> able to see it?
>>
>> How did you run the firefox process, from a console?
>
> I don't really remember for sure, but the ps wwaux output mentioned a
> forum on the winamp web pages so I was probably reading the forum.

:-)

Maybe is that I did not express myself correctly... I wanted to know how
did you launch firefox, that is, if it was called from a console or
script ("firefox http://www.somesite.com";), using an icon from the
desktop...).

It's not usual to see firefox hang in that (badly) way and leaving the
process in such state.

There is an article at Firefox KB commenting the possible causes of a
hang which can leave the process open and preventing the normal operation
of the browser:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs

If you experience the same error again, try by following the given tips
to find out the culprit.

>>> Its hard to believe that on linux there can be a process that will
>>> prevent user from accessing the web browser, and that it cannot be
>>> killed short of a reboot.
>>
>> Yep, that things can happen and sometimes there is no other way but a
>> reboot.
>
> I wonder if `telinit 1' would have done the job?  To late to try now
> since a reboot has gotten rid of the nasty thing.

Going to "init 1" will stop the X server but I doubt it can kill a
process that "sigkill" cannot even terminate :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón