[Solved (kinda)]Re: nvidia driver performance drop?

I got my performance back, thanks to the links Sven provided. I ended up having to roll back

xserver-xorg-core
xserver-xorg-input-evdev
xserver-xorg-input-kbd
xserver-xorg-input-mouse

from backports.d.o. I put these packages on hold. However, I found that apticron gives me the message

"E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f."

apt-get -f install wants to remove most of X:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-input-kbd xserver-xorg-input-mouse
  xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-video-apm xserver-xorg-video-ark
  xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-chips xserver-xorg-video-cirrus
  xserver-xorg-video-dummy xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xserver-xorg-video-glint
  xserver-xorg-video-i128 xserver-xorg-video-i740 xserver-xorg-video-intel
  xserver-xorg-video-mach64 xserver-xorg-video-mga
  xserver-xorg-video-neomagic xserver-xorg-video-r128
  xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-rendition
  xserver-xorg-video-s3 xserver-xorg-video-s3virge xserver-xorg-video-savage
  xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion xserver-xorg-video-sis
  xserver-xorg-video-sisusb xserver-xorg-video-tdfx
  xserver-xorg-video-trident xserver-xorg-video-tseng xserver-xorg-video-vesa
  xserver-xorg-video-vmware xserver-xorg-video-voodoo

Ideas?

--b

On 2011-10-11 13:25 +0200, Brad Alexander wrote:

> I was just wondering if anyone else has run into performance issues on the
> nvidia driver?

Not too many people, since the relevant bug¹ has so far "only" 13
duplicates. ;-)

> Does anyone know of a fix? I tried rolling back the nvidia version, but that
> ends up breaking xorg.

Get xserver 1.10 from snapshot.debian.org, try a patch against 1.11.1
from the nvidia forum², or use nouveau (you probably want to install the
libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental package in the latter case).

Sven

¹ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=642757
² http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2488518&postcount=15