Re: Configuring Gnome fallback

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 16:02:51 -0400
Frank <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

> On 16/10/11 03:43 PM, Joe wrote:
> >>

> > It begins to look as if someone has managed to reinvent Windows...
> >
> > I shouldn't laugh, my particular sid has eight bugs stopping the
> > Gnome upgrade, so my joy is yet to come.
> >

>     Good luck with that :)

OK, I'm definitely not laughing now. I let it go, and it installed a
fair amount of Gnome 3, without bothering with gdm3.

When I got it started, it sneered at me for not being having a good
enough karma to be allowed to run Gnome 3, and left me with something
that research suggests might be a Gnome 2 desktop. It is, however,
missing almost everything that was in my old Gnome, and seems to have
roughly the functionality of ratpoison. (No criticism of ratpoison,
I have played with it and it does what it says on the tin, but Gnome is
supposedly a 'desktop environment'.)

'GNOME 3 takes elegance to a new level'. Well, I wouldn't know.

'It is our primary focus to build a modern operating environment,
platform, and user experience. It doesn't make sense to target the
hardware of the past.' So it *is* Windows, then. 'Experience' is a
dead giveaway. Sorry, I'm not buying a new computer. A medium serious
Gigabyte motherboard, about two years old, by the way, years of life
left in it yet. Though apparently not in partnership with Gnome.

How to win friends and influence people... I'll be spending the rest of
the evening trying to make this heap of junk functional again.

--
Joe