Re: OT: harddrive addition for RAID

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 17:39:34 +0100, Richard wrote:

> I'm thinking about adding another 500 GB HD to use RAID.

Hardware RAID or software RAID? If the latter, what kind of RAID, "md" or
"dm?" And what kind of raid level: 0, 1, 1+0...? ;-P

> 2 questions:-
>
> 1. does the HD need to be exactly the same as the one its being paired
> with ?

Not necessarily, but you will lose the remainder difference space between
the smallest and the bigger of the disks. If you were referring to the
brand/model/serial number of the disks some people think is better they
exactly match (me) others think the opposite.

> 2. how easy is it to change from a non RAID config to a RAID config. ie.
>  can I just  put in the second HD and run something to automagically
>     change the config to RAID ?

I don't think so... manual reconfiguration is required which usually
involves more than one command.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón