Re: Reducing HDD writing affect on whole system.

Am Sonntag, 16. Oktober 2011 schrieb Sthu Deus:
> Thank You for Your time and answer, Martin:
> >There has been significant improvements with recent kernels. After
> >installing 2.6.37 - AFAIR - on my ThinkPad T42 which uses Ext4 I
> >actually thought I bought a new notebook. And there have been
> >improvements after that version as well.
> >
> >So it might be a good idea to install a backport kernel, once its
> >clear the hardware is working to its specifications.
>
> Have You tried 3.0.0 version?

I use 3.0.0 since quite some time. But my setup is different. Since my new
ThinkPad T520 with Intel SSD 320 I do not think much about I/O performance
problems as thats blazingly fast...

I seen vmstat numbers like yours with my T42 and Western Digital 320 IDE
laptop drive or my T23 with Hitachi laptop drive. Laptop harddisks aren´t
the fastest.

Ciao,