Re: Reducing HDD writing affect on whole system.

Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:

>On standard systems setups (where hdds are connected directly to the
>sata controller of the board) and non-complex layouts (non-raid/lvm/
>clusters...) I've never experienced freezes nor delays with sata nor
>ide hard disks. Not "visible" delays, I mean.

Thank You.

>So, what kind of applications are you running on your system and over
>what hardware?

For system that I'm speaking now is a Dell's laptop w/ AMD Tutorion64
2.4 GHz, 2G RAM, w/ Hitachi SATA 750G in it.

May there are any tunable parameters in a BIOS but w/ a laptop system
it is not the case, You know.

Since the very first days of using that bright new laptop I saw kernel
complains like:

MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
[    0.016000] ...trying to set up timer (IRQ0) through the 8259A ...
[    0.016000] ..... (found apic 0 pin 0) ...
[    0.058765] ....... works.

But is seems there is a work around (if it matters any way). I tried to
update its BIOS - but the problem was not gone. And think it is a
hardware problem.

If interested I can upload some where whole dmesg output. Or some
grep-ed info related to HDD performance problem.