[SOLVED]Re: Trouble with java and music store www.channelclassic.com

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 04:57:13PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> I have already tested and it also fails for me in the same way (running
> wheezy here). I can see the frontend GUI with the grayed buttons and a
> new folder under my user's home ("~/www.channelclassics.com/)" but it is
> empty, no files of any kind.
>
> I would contact them.

Their tech support contacted me very promptly. They claim that the wife's
machine needs to have Mac OSX upgraded as their Java downloader app
specifically needs Java 1.6 for security and encryption authentication
reasons.

For my Debian box, the recommended that I have Firefox automatically launch
Java Web Start Applications from the Preferences -> Applications setting
using javaws.

It didn't make sense that doing this automatically would work better than
manually starting the app via the pop-up dialog box. Rereading the email
again I did and apt-search for java security, I came across a package called
libjasypt-java. apt-cache show libjasypt-java:

Package: libjasypt-java
Source: jasypt
Version: 1.8-1
Installed-Size: 256
Maintainer: Debian Java Maintainers
<pkg-java-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Architecture: all
Suggests: libjasypt-java-doc
 Jasypt is a java library which allows the developer to add basic encryption
 capabilities to projects.
 .
 It provides :
  * High-security, standards-based encryption techniques, both for
    unidirectional and bidirectional encryption.
  * Transparent integration with Hibernate.
  * Suitable for integration into Spring-based applications and also
    transparently integrable with Spring Security.
  * Integrated capabilities for encrypting the configuration of
    applications (i.e. datasources).
  * Specific features for high-performance encryption in
    multi-processor/multi-core systems.
  * Open API for use with any JCE provider.
Homepage: http://www.jasypt.org
Section: java
Filename: pool/main/j/jasypt/libjasypt-java_1.8-1_all.deb

Installing this package makes the Java downloader happy. All works well now.