Re: package management help

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 06:45:11 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

(...)

> So, if I'm reading this correctly, and these aren't phantom
> dependencies, if one wishes to run php5 with lighttpd, one has to have
> all of apache2 installed also?  Is that correct?  That seems strange to
> have one httpd so entirely dependent on another...if this is actually
> the case.

It does not have to be so.

If you install a metapackage (php5¹) you can choose what package
dependency suits better to your needs (in this case: "libapache2-mod-
php5", "libapache2-mod-php5filter" or "php5-cgi"). It seems that you
chose "libapache2-mod-php5" which pulled the other dependencies.

For lighttpd maybe "php5-cgi" was a better election.

¹http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/php5

Greetings,

--
Camaleón