Re: odd network error - wireless drops when browsing with mc over ssh

On Fri 14 Oct 2011 at 20:40:35 +0100, andy baxter wrote:

> On 14/10/11 15:40, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> You said "local router"... does it mean the client side? If yes, you can
>> do some debugging, for example, restarting the networking service
>> (instead rebooting) and retest the connection.
>>

> Yes I lose the connection between my laptop and my home router. I meant
> rebooting the router, not my computer. What happens is the wireless
> drops completely, and won't reconnect until I reboot the router. I don't
> know how to restart just the networking on this router.

If it's the router which has to be re-booted, rather than the laptop, it
sounds like some interaction between your Ubuntu installation and the
router has confused the router. The Ubuntu version and how it is set up
would have a bearing on this.

Seeing as you are here, download a Squeeze edition of Debian Live, burn
it to a CD or put it on a USB stick and see if it makes any difference.

>> Are you using NM to manage the wireless interface? If yes, you can
>> monitor the logs in real time (as root, "tail -f /var/log/syslog") to
>> gather more information on the disconnection.
>>

> I've already tried this, but don't know enough about what's happening to
> interpret it much. I've pasted below what comes up in the syslog when
> the error occurs.

NM could be the issue. Stopping it running and working directly with
wpa_supplicant through /et/network/interfaces is something to try.

>> OTOH, are you sure the above steps are the only pattern that triggers the
>> failure? I don't see the relation between using MC to get into "/etc"
>> directory and loss the wifi connection :-?
>
> There could be other things that would cause the error - that's probably
> just how it's shown up because it's something I do often. If I do 'cd
> /etc', and start mc from there, it works fine, and continues to work. I
> haven't yet managed to work out the boundaries of what makes it drop and
> what doesn't. E.g. sometimes I can do what seems to be the same thing,
> and it works differently.
>
> Here is a copy of /var/log/syslog on my laptop from the point that the
> terminal session hangs, through the wireless dropping, to when it gives
> up trying to re-authenticate to the router. The first line in the log is
> at the point where the wireless drops, which is a minute or so after the
> terminal session freezes.

The terminal freezing could be the result of the wireless link ceasing
to function rather than it causing the wireless to drop.