Re: odd network error - wireless drops when browsing with mc over ssh

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 23:49:29 +0100
andy baxter <andy@earthsong.free-online.co.uk> wrote:

> On 13/10/11 20:20, Mike McGinn wrote:
> > I have experienced wireless network disconnects when connected to
> > remote machines. In my case this seemed to be a characteristic of
> > the wireless network, which my wife and son hammer relentlessly. I
> > now use a wired connection when connecting remotely.
> >
> > Try with a wired connection and see what happens. I think many of
> > these wireless routers are crap.
> >
> I can do that just to test what the problem is, but not long-term -
> it means running a cable down the stairs and through the living room.
> I rent the house so can't really start rewiring things.
>
> Can you recommend a good wireless ADSL router?
>
> andy

http://au.billion.com/product/wireless/bipac7800n.php

But other aspects could be at play here also.
What sort of property is it?
Older style with lead flashing?
High degree of in-wall and obsolete (disconnected but still present)
wiring that acts as shielding?
Regards,

Weaver

--
"In a world without walls and fences,
what need have we for Windows or Gates?"