Re: New desktop configuration

Am Donnerstag, 13. Oktober 2011 schrieb Dan Ritter:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 06:06:38PM +1000, yudi v wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Just a quick question about RAID and linux file systems. I am
> > building a new desktop and wondering what the best configuration to
> > get redundancy and speed.
> > Some thing like ZFS RAID1 or RAIDz.
> >
> > I am not going with SSDs as they are beyond my budget. I believe I
> > can get the required performance from 7200 HDD using RAID with added
> > redundancy and enough storage space without the price penalty of
> > SSDs.
>
> You don't say what your storage requirements are and what your
> performance requirements are.
>
> You might consider a small SSD and a pair of N-terabyte hard
> disks in RAID1. Put performance-critical things on the SSD, and
> keep a backup on the hard disks, along with
> non-performance-critical data.
>
> I've assessed my desktop data usage, and I think I can get away
> with a 120G SSD and a single 1 TB spinning disk, using rsnapshot
> to copy the SSD a few times a day.

For the desktop a mixed setup can make sense, since there is no need to
store movie or music files onto an SSD usually. SSD excel at random I/O
workloads with lots of small files.

Seagate - possibly others - manufactures a harddisk with SSD cache. This
might be an alternative for laptops. But AFAIR the SSD is only 4 GB on
that Seagate drive. Dunno whether it will make much of a difference.

For Linux there is bcache in development - not yet in mainline - which can
use a fast drive like an SSD to cache slower drives or parts of them.

Ciao,