Re: hostname set to "new-host"

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 11:27:42 -0400
Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Just rebooted my system, and the hostname is now set to
> > 'new-host' (/etc/hostname still contains the correct hostname). Anybody
> > seeing this, or understand why?
>
> What's the output of "sysctl kernel.hostname"?

kernel.hostname = new-host

> Could now be getting your hostname from your dhcp server via dhclient or via NM?

Perhaps, although as I noted in a different message, I thought I saw
this before the network was even set up. I'll have to check more
carefully.

In any event, I've used this system for years on various sorts of
networks (mostly controlled by consumer grade SOHO router / firewall /
wireless AP / DHCP servers running both the manufacturer's standard
firmware as well as OpenWrt), with both static addressing as well as
DHCP, and I've never seen this before today.

Thanks,
Celejar