Re: nvidia-driver - some problems

Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
Hello all, I am using debian/testing on my desktop pc. This computer is using a Nvidia card 7300 GT ultra. As this is an older card, I got into a little problems. My problems:

1. I want to use 3d-accceleration, so I need to use the proprietrary driver from Nvidia.

2. This card is not supported by the newest driver, but with nvidia-kernel-
legacy-173xx and nvidia-glx-173xx.

3. I am using kernel 3.0, but the above modules cannot be built, as it says "wrong kernel version, only 2.6 is supported".

4. The alternative"nv" cannot be used, due to xserver-xorg and xserver-xorg-
core version incompabilities.

5. At the moment I have to use "nouveau" driver, but acceleration is not really fast.

This is the situation. So, maybe you have an idea. Possibilities:

1. Maybe change "nvidia-kernel-legacy-173xx" so it can be build with the latest kernel. If the build is NOT WANTED by the developers, please point me to. Otherwise it is a bug and should be fixed.

2. In case the developers decided to use the "nouveau" driver instead of "nv" or the legacy driver ONLY for OLDER Nvidia cards, please tell me. Otherwise it is a bug, and should be fixed.

3. If the developers decided, NOT to use kernel 3.X.X for older computers, please tell me. Information: At the moment I MUST use the nouveau driver, when I want to use kernel 3.0, with kernel 2.6.39, the nvidia drivers are building fine.
Thank you very much for reading this and for your help!

Yes, that's what happened with that 3.0.0 nomenclature. You may not want to hear this but the fastest solution is a new card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814139150
as little as US$34.-

Hugo