Re: OT: Desktop icons - Some blubbering :.(

On Friday 07 October 2011 18:39:36 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-10-07 at 16:30 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
> > On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 16:46:00 +0200
> > Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Martin,
> >
> > > Aside from that Konqueror should still work as a file browser as well
> >
> > Whilst that is true, in KDE3 Konqueror had better functionality than it
> > does in KDE4.  Specifically, the ability to have different viewing
> > profiles according to display mode (as file browser).  That is, in icon
> > mode, I had konq set up to show only icons, but in list mode, it
> > displayed hidden files too.  Can't do that any more.   :-(
>
> I want my KDE3 back, since I now need to watch GNOME2 dying :(. For me
> it was a hard decision to switch from KDE3 to GNOME2, because I don't
> like KDE4. And now GNOME2 will become GNOME3, another kind of KDE4
> [snip] :(. There are some other DEs that are ok, but if the next DE I
> should use, should become a KDE4-GNOME3-thingy, I'll run berserk.

Have you looked at Trinity DE?  It still has a few very small wrinkles, but is
perfectly usable.  In fact, from my point of view it is now entirely usable
(I am running it on my testbed machine).  The last vestige of trip wire fell
away when someone on the v. helpful mailing list told me that using gksu in
place of kdesu worked.  It does.

Lisi