Re: `Xorg -configure' failure

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> writes:

> On Fri, 2011-10-07 at 11:56 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> Do you have any recommendation?  On gentoo I was using the `nv' driver
>> that I do not see available for debian.
>
> I'm using testing, there's no nv driver for testing, but I'm using X
> from stable.
>
> On my testing it's xserver-xorg-video-nv 1:2.1.17-3, the internet says
> http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=xserver-xorg-video-nv
> there'll be a nv driver for SID :). So ONLY with testing we do have bad
> luck regarding to the nv driver.

Thanks for the info.  I'm just learning the whys and wherefores of
debian so please forgive any obviously stupid remarks or questions.

Is it possible to get the pkg for sid into a testing setup.

I don't know what happens with cross use like that in the debian
scheme.

Is installing that pkg likely to solve any problems raised in recent
threads regarding virtual screen size and mouse panning around on
oversize desktop?

You must have some different URLS in /etc/apt/sources.list

When I search the database these are all that turn up.

    ap -s xserver-xorg-video-n

  i A xserver-xorg-video-neomagic     - X.Org X server -- Neomag [...]
  i A xserver-xorg-video-nouveau      - X.Org X server -- Nouvea [...]
  p   xserver-xorg-video-nouveau-dbg  - X.Org X server -- Nouvea [..]
  p   xserver-xorg-video-nvidia       - NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
  v   xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-any   -

Do you mind posting the sources.list for your `testing' rig.

I'm running `wheezy' and am a bit confused as to whether that is
`testing' or that `testing' is something else.

 my /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main

deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main