Re: PPS: OT: Desktop icons - Some blubbering :.(

On Fri, 2011-10-07 at 16:48 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Freitag, 7. Oktober 2011 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> > KDE did use "aRts" and replaced it by "Polypaudio" sorry I've forgotten
> > it's current name ;), it might be PulseAudio ;), a PITA.
>
> Is there anything aside from venting personal frustration with an open
> source software in your comment?
>
> I have not been that comfortable with PulseAudio either, on some older
> notebooks I still do not use it, but on my new Debian Sid installation on
> a ThinkPad T520 it really works quite well out of the box.

Short answer: I switched to Debian, because Debian doesn't force me to
install PA :). My computer is a DAW, distros that force me to install PA
by default will force me to do a lot of editing to get a good DAW.
There's still enough work to do, without PA, to get a good DAW.

No doubt about it, if your PC isn't a DAW such a sound server has
advantages. But what was wrong with aRts? aRts didn't cause pain for a
DAW and does a good job for the averaged desktop users.

2 Cents,

Ralf

PS: Thank you, thank you, thank you Debian, that I doesn't need to
install PA by default. Installing Ubuntu or Suse will cause pain, since
they ship with PA by default.