Re: libusb

On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 17:00:54 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 02:12:11 +1000, Weaver wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 15:22:50 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón
> > <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (...)
>
> >> And printer model is...? My crystal ball can't tell :-)
> >
> > It's an HP 2000 J210
>
> Thanks. I hoped it was a PostScript printer and so no driver
> required, but sadly it is not.
>
> Okay, so Sid's hplip should be able to work with your printer. It's
> on version 3.11 and your printer requires >3.10.9. If it does not
> work, you are eligible to open a bug report.

The feedback I have always got when trying to install through foomatic
is 'no driver available', and having installed from the HP site driver
resource, I have always been able to get a functioning printer. I've
done this with this same printer in the past and been printing off it
successfully.

> >> What's the exact message you get? These little details are more
> >> important that it seems at a first glance.
> >
> > Very simple message: Missing dependency. Please install libusb and
> > rerun the installer. The name of the library file is libusb - no
> > reference number or other extension
>
> Good... what package did you download? I mean, to install the printer
> (upstream source of hplip)?

I go here:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html

Which, after my supplying OS, version, passes me through to the
Sourceforge repository where I download the file hplip-3.11.10.run,
which I place on the desktop.

cd desktop
sh hplip-3.11.10.run

initiates the install. The installer recognises the fact that it's
Debian and Unstable, asks for the root password and begins the install.
Then I get the complaint.

I've tried it with the USB port connected and disconnected as quite
often with USB installs this will be the problem. No change in either
case.

> >> There are many packages/versions named "libusb":
> >>
> >> http://packages.debian.org/sid/libs/
> >
> > No, there are none in SID called just plain 'libusb'. And I've
> > installed every other package name that has 'libusb' in it. Still
> > nothing.
>
> Hum... I can see several:
>
> libusb++-0.1-4c2
> libusb-0.1-4
> libusb-1.0-0
> libusb2
>
> And there can be also associated libraries:
>
> libusb++-dev

None of these are just 'libusb' and I recognise some of those that are
installed already. There's nothing left in the aptitude ncurses
interface with any libusb description in the 'uninstalled packages
section. I've installed them all, whether they appear related or not,
in case of dependency requirements.

For example:

root@192-168-1-2:/home/weaver# aptitude install libusb2
Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "libusb2"
Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "libusb2"
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.
[ Rootkit Hunter version 1.3.8 ]
File updated: searched for 167 files, found 137
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/locale: 0 KiB
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/man: 0 KiB
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/gnome/help: 0 KiB
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/omf: 0 KiB
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML: 0 KiB

Total disk space freed by localepurge: 0 KiB

root@192-168-1-2:/home/weaver#

> >> (...)
> >>
> >> It could be that the package installer looks for something
> >> different than you think and so the importance of the exact
> >> "complaint" message you get.
> >
> > The *exact* complaint message I get is: 'Warning: There are two
> > missing REQUIRED dependencies note: installation off dependencies
> > requires an active internet connection
> > Warning: Missing required dependency: libusb (libusb - USB library)
> > Warning: This installer cannot install libusb for your distro/OS
> > and or version
> > Error: Installation cannot continue without this dependency. Please
> > manually install this dependency and re-run the installer'
>
> (...)
>
> Good, good... so the installer can't see where libusb is located in
> your system (maybe a packaging issue). Run:
>
> dpkg -l | grep libusb
> locate libusb
>
> and put here the result.

weaver@192-168-1-2:~$ su
Password:
root@192-168-1-2:/home/weaver# dpkg -l | grep libusb
ii  libusb++-0.1-4c2                      2:0.1.12-19                       userspace C++ USB programming library
ii  libusb-0.1-4                          2:0.1.12-19                       userspace USB programming library
ii  libusb-1.0-0                          2:1.0.8-5                         userspace USB programming library
ii  libusbhid-common                      8.2+ds1-4                         Common files for the USB HID devices FreeBSD library
ii  libusbip0                             0.1.7-3                           USB device sharing system over IP network (shared library)
ii  libusbmuxd1                           1.0.7-1                           USB multiplexor daemon for iPhone and iPod Touch devices - library
ii  libusbprog0                           0.2.0-1                           Library for programming the USBprog hardware
ii  libusbtc08-1                          1.7.2-1                           Hardware interface library for PicoTech USB TC08 Thermocouple sensor
root@192-168-1-2:/home/weaver# locate libusb
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libusb-0.1.so.4
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libusb-0.1.so.4.4.4
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libusb-1.0.so.0
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libusb-1.0.so.0.0.0
/usr/lib/libusbip.so.0
/usr/lib/libusbip.so.0.0.1
/usr/lib/libusbmuxd.so.1
/usr/lib/libusbmuxd.so.1.0.7
/usr/lib/libusbprog.so.0
/usr/lib/libusbprog.so.0.3.0
/usr/lib/libusbtc08.so.1
/usr/lib/libusbtc08.so.1.7.2
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libusb-0.1.so.4
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libusb-1.0.so.0
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libusbpp-0.1.so.4
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libusbpp-0.1.so.4.4.4
/usr/share/doc/libusb++-0.1-4c2
/usr/share/doc/libusb-0.1-4
/usr/share/doc/libusb-1.0-0
/usr/share/doc/libusbhid-common
/usr/share/doc/libusbip0
/usr/share/doc/libusbmuxd1
/usr/share/doc/libusbprog0
/usr/share/doc/libusbtc08-1
/usr/share/doc/libpisock9/README.libusb.gz
/usr/share/doc/libusb++-0.1-4c2/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/libusb++-0.1-4c2/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/libusb++-0.1-4c2/copyright
/usr/share/doc/libusb-0.1-4/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/libusb-0.1-4/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/libusb-0.1-4/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/libusb-0.1-4/copyright
/usr/share/doc/libusb-1.0-0/README
/usr/share/doc/libusb-1.0-0/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/libusb-1.0-0/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/libusb-1.0-0/copyright
/usr/share/doc/libusbhid-common/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/libusbhid-common/copyright
/usr/share/doc/libusbip0/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/libusbip0/copyright
/usr/share/doc/libusbmuxd1/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/libusbmuxd1/copyright
/usr/share/doc/libusbprog0/NEWS.gz
/usr/share/doc/libusbprog0/README
/usr/share/doc/libusbprog0/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/libusbprog0/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/libusbprog0/copyright
/usr/share/doc/libusbtc08-1/README
/usr/share/doc/libusbtc08-1/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/libusbtc08-1/copyright
/usr/share/doc/libusbtc08-1/examples
/usr/share/doc/libusbtc08-1/examples/linux
/usr/share/doc/libusbtc08-1/examples/linux/95-pico.rules
/usr/share/doc/libusbtc08-1/examples/linux/usbtest
/var/cache/apt/archives/libusbtc08-1_1.7.2-1_i386.deb
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusb++-0.1-4c2.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusb++-0.1-4c2.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusb++-0.1-4c2.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusb++-0.1-4c2.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusb++-0.1-4c2.shlibs
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusb-0.1-4.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusb-0.1-4.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusb-0.1-4.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusb-0.1-4.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusb-0.1-4.shlibs
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusb-1.0-0.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusb-1.0-0.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusb-1.0-0.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusb-1.0-0.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusb-1.0-0.shlibs
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusbhid-common.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusbhid-common.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusbip0.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusbip0.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusbip0.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusbip0.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusbip0.shlibs
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusbmuxd1.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusbmuxd1.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusbmuxd1.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusbmuxd1.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusbmuxd1.shlibs
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusbmuxd1.symbols
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusbprog0.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusbprog0.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusbprog0.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusbprog0.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusbprog0.shlibs
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusbtc08-1.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusbtc08-1.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusbtc08-1.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusbtc08-1.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libusbtc08-1.shlibs
root@192-168-1-2:/home/weaver#

Regards and thanks,

Weaver.
--
"In a world without walls and fences,
what need have we for Windows or Gates?"