Re: libusb

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 23:12:56 +1000, Weaver wrote:

> I'm trying to install an HP printer, on SID, but it's one of those odd
> ones where the driver isn't  available in the repositories.

And printer model is...? My crystal ball can't tell :-)

> I've downloaded the self-installing driver from Sourceforge, but it
> only gets part way through before complaining that 'libusb' is required
> before the install can go ahead.

What's the exact message you get? These little details are more important
that it seems at a first glance.

> I ran an install for libusb but am informed that there's no such
> package. I then opened up the aptitude interface and went looking,
> installing anything that had 'libusb' in its name. Still the same
> complaint.

There are many packages/versions named "libusb":

http://packages.debian.org/sid/libs/

> Does anybody know what is happening here? Has 'libusb' been renamed in
> SID?
> Is there any other explanation of this type?

(...)

It could be that the package installer looks for something different than
you think and so the importance of the exact "complaint" message you get.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón