Re: HD Data Recovery

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 16:07:23 -0400, Robert Blair Mason Jr. wrote:

> A few days ago one of my parents' computers stopped booting, and they
> don't have any external backups, so I have to try and backup the data.
> BIOS POST revealed that the cause was a hard disk error.

(...)

Uff... you mean a "SMART" error or "hdd/OS not found" alike messages?

(...)

> If anyone knows how I can recover the data off the hard disk, it would
> be much appreciated.

If the drive is healthy enough maybe you can still clone the complete
disk (raw) by means of Clonezilla or similar tools and then restore the
data into a new hard disk already partitioned with a fresh-new partition
table, but the success of this operation will vary depending on the
nature of the error. Severe SMART or mechanical errors could require
drastic measures, like sending the disk to specialized recovery data
companies.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón